8.25.2010

Jarvis + Jasmine

Just got done watching the video of Chase Jarvis talking shop with the up-and-coming wedding photographer Jasmine Star. It was very inspirational as she spoke of how she dropped out of law school to take a chance with photography, picking up a digital camera (a gift from her boyfriend) with zero tech knowledge for the first time five years ago. She was inspired by the photographer at her own wedding and the beauty of being able to capture such priceless moments that happen in weddings and even the lifestyle of this occupation. This reminded me of what Jin told me a year ago that he believes I have a knack for capturing details of everyday life and events and that I could start capturing moments in the day of a life of other couples for fun. I love the idea of that. As an amateur, we learn through time what we prefer to shoot and as I don't have a strong grasp of that yet and enjoy shooting whatever catches my eye, I am slowly learning that I love shooting people and capturing their emotions. I know it is crucial for a viewer to be able to connect with a photograph and feel what the photographer was feeling, what the subject was feeling. Without emotions our lives would be bland, disconnected. It is through emotions whether good or bad that make us feel alive and able to connect. Emotional is a good thing, it means that we are living, feeling, and learning. Also, it's easy to get the conception that a photographer is so generalized in what they know how to shoot, that they know how to shoot anything, but this interview made me realize a profressional photographer that shoots commercial photography can be a foreigner in the world of something like wedding photography. I am excited to dive deeper into this field to see where my experience leads me. Jasmine also shared some of her current equipment which is a Canon 5D Mark II, a 50mm 1.2, and a 24 mm 1.4. Though this isn't feasible right now, it made me want a full-frame Mark even more if that's possible. Luckily Jin keeps me in check about this since I'm starting out but a girls gotta have dreams, right? :)

“Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.”

No comments:

Post a Comment